In 1927, the Pennsylvania Federation of Democratic Women, Inc. (PFDW) was founded to promote the appointment and election of democratic women to responsible positions in all branches of government, to encourage the advancement of women in both the public and private sectors, and to advocate for the principles of the Democratic Party.
In 2004, the Women's Democratic Club of Delaware County (WDCDC) was reorganized. Dorothy Gallagher of Collingdale, along with other female pioneers Mary Fran Ballard, Nancy Baulis, and Angela D'Alessandro, took part in the Club's early days. The Club was revitalized in 2010 when a full slate of new and energetic candidates was elected as its Executive Committee. On January 22, 2011, an installation ceremony under the new charter was held. The Club began to grow and now celebrates its anniversary anniversary annually in January.
WDCDC holds membership in the Pennsylvania Federation of Democratic Women. By June 2013, under the leadership of Dr. Carolyn C. Collins, we were able to successfully host PFDW's annual convention, welcoming Democratic women leaders from across the state.
WDCDC actively supports the nominees and the platform of the Delaware County Democratic Party in General Elections.
Meetings of the WDCDC are, usually, held on the 3rd Sunday of the month at 2:30 pm. Meetings are in various venues throughout the county.